Thursday, July 31, 2008

Words I still can't spell

I was a Pennsylvania state semifinalist in the Scripps Howard National Spelling Bee -- twice. In fact, that's how I met my husband, way back in the day.

But some words still elude me, such as:

  • broccoli (or is it brocolli? When I write my grocery lists, I always have to write them both, then cross out the incorrect spelling!)

  • Caribbean (something you'd think I'd only rarely have to spell, but still. I just don't know if it's Carribean or Caribbean.)

What are your troublesome words?

5 comments:

b. said...

yes - i have those. vacuum and address are ones that routinely trip me up - oh, and across - because i confuse address and across and it's not til i write them out that i can see adress and accross is not right.
i guess it's still better than going back to olde inglish ware you can spell houwever you wont.



maybe.

katie lynn said...

oh so it was "love at first bee?" Pretty soon the only words you'll be spelling out load are "b-e-d" and "b-a-t-h" and "l-e-a-v-i-n-g"...all the words you wont want BruBaby to hear you say!

Lisa said...

first of all...I'm an all around bad speller.

But the words I keep messing up are:
(Same as brandy here)vacuum
caffeine

Dulcimer said...

Well, it was love at first bee for me. (Which, of course, was the reason I'm not a state champion speller: I was distracted.

:)

Dulcimer said...

Apparently, we Americans aren't the only bad spellers in the world; some Brits are having so much trouble that it looks like we might indeed be headed back to the days before Dr. Johnson's wonderful invention, the dictionary: http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSKUA75572520080807?feedType=RSS&feedName=oddlyEnoughNews