Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Random (but categorized) thoughts from the last few days

It was a good weekend. After Mr. Incredible's most frightening rendezvous with our chef's knife on Wednesday night, the bathroom remodeling project (which usually dominates his weekends) was put on hold. After all, it's probably best to leave plumbing and serious demo and carpentry to people whose thumbs are completely intact. Determined not to have a completely and totally unproductive weekend, we made the snap decision around 11 a.m. on Saturday to paint the miniscule room upstairs that we affectionately call "the study." And so, by mid-afternoon, the floral yellow gingham wallpaper border was down, the trim was removed, and all contents of the room had been relocated to the empty bedroom next door.

And now, the room is truly ours; it has brush strokes of our color choice--Tibetan red--all over it. It wasn't a terrible color before. It just wasn't ours. And with a little weekend warriorism, now it is.

Pumpkin-nut bread is awesome, but would taste better with cream cheese. Mmmm. I'll keep that in mind for next time.

Denim skirts are the perfect way to wear jeans to work. Why is it that a simple denim skirt can make you feel so put-together; so confident? Is it that they are basically impervious to stains and wrinkles? Is it their durability and weight? Whatever it is, they're the ideal attire for those frazzled mornings when you just can't get it together, but you really need to fake it. :)

Why didn't anyone ever tell me about the turducken? I talked to a Canadian yesterday who was celebrating Thanksgiving (they observe it a little earlier than we do, even though apparently they're not quite sure of the historical significance behind their holiday) and he introduced me to the concept of roasting one bird inside another. I'm determined to try it.

I don't think I'll be able to fit it in, but I am so tempted to join nanowrimo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to tell you. The last time I tried wearing a denim skirt to work, it didn't turn out so well. I found that I was tripping all over myself, my whole center of gravity was thrown off. I completely lost my chi. I had to do 3 yoga classes a day for a month just to make up for the disaster to my aura. Perhaps the skirt itself held some bad karma. It certainly does now, as I channelled all of my anger into the skirt and threw it into the Pacific Ocean, where I can only imagine it will confuse some very nice humpback whale searching for food. But littering was the wrong thing to do, now I'll be reincarnated as plankton. Either that or a toilet brush.

I need to go to sleep.