Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Cherries on top

We have a lot of special treats in our household. Or at least, it seems that way. After a long, tiring day, we often decide together on an activity--like watching an episode of our favorite BBC sitcom or sipping hot drinks and munching on scones--that we can enjoy together before bed. It's our way to unwind; to bond; and to cope with life.

So the other night we made chocolate chip pancakes topped with cherry pie filling. Bedtime was fast approaching, so as I assembled my pancakes and poured drinks, I flew around the kitchen, working as fast as I could so we could sit down and enjoy them sooner. As I reached my hand into the can of cherry pie filling, though, I got a little wake-up call.

"Slow down," Mr. Incredible reminded me.

"But I want to enjoy our special treat."

"Making the pancakes together--that's the special treat."

And I guess that's part of why I married him. Not so much because he says things like that, but because he believes them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a similar but unrelated note, James Lileks, a very talented columnist and blogger, has a neat reflection today on (among other things) watching his daughter grow up. If you haven't before, check him out--his blather is usually worth wading through.

1 comment:

Christie said...

Scones and BBC, I didn't know you had so much British in you. jj

I'm glad you get to unwind together and share in the joy of making food together. I enjoyed reading Mr. Wonderful's sweet comment to you. Chocolate chip pancakes and cherry topping...mmmm sounds great. Now, was this your dinner or just a tasty treat?

Well gotta go. Lost is on and wathcing it together is one of my husband's favorite treats...now if we just had some of those pancakes too. haha
peace,
Christie