Sunday, September 14, 2008

Stocking the freezer

Wow, it's been a long time -- and I still feel like I don't have a lot to say. What have I been up to these past weeks? Mostly just eating, sleeping, working, and cooking. No, seriously, that's about it.

But then, it is that time of year to gather all the ripe fruits and veggies and find some way to store them for the otherwise bland, hungry winter ahead. Here's what I've been stocking the freezer and the basement shelves with recently:
  • 21 jars of peaches (together, my mom and I canned 42 jars on a very hot Saturday in Pittsburgh)
  • Aromatic basil-tomato pasta sauce
  • Pureed pear baby food (the only thing I could think of to use up the abundance of pears that were ripening in our backyard)
  • Curried carrot soup
  • Creamy carrot soup (we like carrot soup, okay?)
  • Cheeseburger pie
  • Deep dish tacos
  • Several bags of corn, fresh off the cob
I'm hoping to make a nice batch of apple butter this year, and I may make some baby food with some of the exceedingly cheap and good-looking squash that's beginning to dominate the farmer's market. I'll probably continue to stock the freezer with a few more meals for those cold winter nights soon after the baby arrives. But other than that, I think I'm just about done making my winter provisions.

So even though my blog has been going through somewhat of a famine, it looks like the Brubakers won't starve this winter. :)

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Yay for the post. Yay for not starving.

Emma said...

You'll really enjoy having that pear baby food and any others you make ahead of time. My first sons main food for many months was homemade applesauce, and he loved it! and I knew exactly what was in it. Apples!

Dulcimer said...

Thanks, Emma. I'm glad to know that this food, made in advance, will not go to waste! I was actually thinking about making some applesauce this fall, too -- I made it last year and we enjoyed it all throughout the winter as a snack to take to work and school.

The best thing about good, ripe fruit (like those pears) is that you don't have to do anything to it in order to make it taste good! I hope the baby likes it; if not, I'm really not that opposed to eating it myself. :)