Wednesday, May 14, 2008

When I bite into a York Peppermint Pattie

I get the sensation.

It's a well-known fact that peppermint patties are my candy of choice. And why wouldn't they be? Refreshing mint -- which actually is a necessity after some meals -- enrobed in chocolate. In recent years, York Peppermint Patties have also been shown (on their packaging, at least) to be "a lowfat food" and "dark chocolate covered," which certainly gives them a couple more points in my book.

After a lifetime of loving peppermint patties, the candy now has for me associations of memory and emotions that even further endear me to it.

When I was a kid, Hershey Foods (which unfortunately does own York) ran these amazingly cheesy, yet evocative, commercials along the theme of "When I bite into a York Peppermint Pattie, I get the sensation," featuring normal, everyday people who get the sensation of skiing in the Alps just from a piece of minty chocolate (even though they're actually just standing on their coffee table, pretending to feel the rush of an Alpine avalanche).

My grandma apparently shares my love of peppermint patties -- or at least, the commercials -- and I will never forget her impersonation of that commercial. Yes, she did jump up on the coffee table, and yes, we worried about her mental and physical health. But oh, did we ever laugh.

For my bridal shower, my best friend made sure to have both peppermint patties and Starburst -- my two favorites -- in abundance. And when my husband wants to give me a little encouragement, he brings one home for me to enjoy. In some ways, it's not so much about the candy itself as it is about your loved ones knowing and caring about the little things that make you happy.

I've been a little disappointed over the years, as I've noticed the sugar content rising . . . frankly, we don't need it, and it only contributes to tooth decay and weird aftertastes.

But overall, the peppermint pattie has moved into the 21st century unchanged. It still arrives in that retro foil wrapper with the simple design that takes you back to the 40s.

I'm not sure I believe that peppermint patties are truly a "lowfat food" or that they really contain two percent of my recommended daily intake of iron . . . but they do give me the sensation, I'll give 'em that.

3 comments:

katie lynn said...

If only everyone had an appreciation for the little things in life. I too, like it when someone brings me something because they know it's a favorite....like when you brought me mountain dew or octopus gummies or sour watermelons. Its the thought that really counts.

I miss bringing you York Peppermint Paddies.

b. said...

i like holding it up to my ear as i break a piece off - it's the coolest sound ever. and i like the small ones better than the large flat ones singly packed. the proportion of chocolate to menthe yumminess is just better. and if they come wrapped in cute pastel colors, i like them even more somehow.
:)
mmm.

Dulcimer said...

Katie Lynn's comment reminds me that my husband and best friend are not the only people who bring me peppermint patties . . . in fact, this dear co-worker of mine used to get me Turkey Hill Green Tea with Ginseng & Honey (praise Jesus, I've been clean since Christmas) and York Peppermint Patties! What an awesome friend, huh?

I miss bringing you gummies and Mountain Dew, too, Katie. :)